Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Shalom New Haven Editor is accountable for advancing the mission and objectives of the Jewish Federation, Foundation, and JCC of Greater New Haven by sourcing, producing, and editing content to ensure a quality publication. The Shalom New Haven properties include Shalom New Haven online, Shalom Weekly e-newsletter, and Shalom New Haven bi-monthly print edition.
- Provides direction for Shalom New Haven in collaboration with its editorial board and management
- Regularly sources content from Jewish Congregations and agencies in our catchment area, as well as from internal sources (staff and board members), and from local, national, and international news channels
- Writes/produces press releases and other articles – whether or not they may end up in Shalom New Haven - as requested by Director of Marketing & Communications
- Posts current news and other stories to Facebook
- Generates editorial calendar and responsible for launch deadlines
- Clearly and regularly communicates timelines to internal, external, and production-related stake-owners
- Regularly engages with internal and community-based contributors to provide direction and uncover story opportunities, as well as to notify in case of submissions’ rejection or major changes
- Writes and produces original content, including articles, photos, and videos
- Edits sourced content for proper style and grammar
- Directs freelance writers
- Maintains organized filing system for all published content
- Collaborates on Basecamp
- Posts press releases on website
- Bachelor degree
- Background in Journalism
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Interest in the Jewish community
References are required and background checks will be conducted.
The JCC/Jewish Federation is a non-denominational, EEO/AA employer. We encourage individuals of all faiths and backgrounds to apply.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.